CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The 6th ISPAH Organizing Committee invites authors to submit abstracts for presentation within any of the conference sub-themes listed below. Submissions are sought for oral and poster presentations only. General details of these sessions are outlined below:
- Oral presentations: will be either 5 mins or 10 mins and the duration allocated will be indicated on all accepted papers. Abstracts will be grouped by theme and each session will have approx. 10 papers, a Chair and a Discussant who will provide comments on the field of research covered in the session, highlight particular findings and stimulate Q&A on links to policy and practice.
- Poster Presentations: will run on each day and provide an opportunity for delegates to view work and meet authors. There will be no presentation or organized “walking and talking” in the poster sessions. Light refreshments will be served. Details of the poster specification will be available from the ISPAH 2016 website.
Information on other formats:
- Symposia: there will be no call for abstracts proposing symposia sessions within the scientific program. Instead, the scientific committee will create symposia from submitted individual abstracts on related topics under the themes outlined below.
- Pre conference and post conference satellite meetings, workshops or symposia: Delegates interested in convening sessions before or after the conference, either in Bangkok or elsewhere in Thailand or neighboring countries, are invited to contact the Conference organizers to explore opportunities. This might be suitable for example for those wishing to arrange meetings regarding large multi-national research projects or a training workshop or in-depth symposia on a specific topic. Information and contact points can be provided regarding venues. Cross promotion of events will be possible through the 2016 Conference website and other promotional activities. Detailed planning, logistics as well as registration processes for these pre/post congress activities would be the responsibility of the host of the event.
- Requests for Meetings or workshops within the conference venue and during the conference program (morning, lunch and evening): There may be a small number of possible opportunities for groups to arrange to meet formally using the congress venue however this does depend on the final congress scientific program. Please contact the conference organizers if you have some interest. Requests will be addressed on a first come basis and availability will be confirmed after the requirements of the scientific program and congress sponsors have been finalised.
Congress main theme: “Active People, Active Place and Active Policy”.
Congress sub-themes: The Scientific Programme Committee encourages submission of abstracts for Oral and Poster presentations in the following thematic areas:
Sub-Theme 1: Physical Activity Epidemiology and Health Benefits Across the Life Course
Sub-Theme 2: Building the Evidence on Sedentary Behaviour and Health
Sub-Theme 3: Methods and Measurement in Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior
Sub-Theme 4: Promoting Physical Activity in Special Populations
Sub-Theme 5: Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Interventions in Different Settings
Sub-Theme 6: Supportive Environments for Physical Activity
Sub-Theme 7: Technological Innovations and Physical Activity Promotion
Sub-Theme 8: Mass Media, Social Marketing, and Community-wide Campaigns on Physical Activity
Sub-Theme 9: Economic Dimension and Physical Activity
Sub-Theme 10: Getting Evidence Used: Informing Policy and Practice
Sub-Theme 11: Physical Activity in all Policies
Sub-Theme 12: Physical Activity in Low and Middle Income Countries
Sub-Theme 13: Physical Activity in Asia
KEY DATES FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION
- Abstract submissions open 1 September 2015
- Abstract submissions close 15 March 2016
- Notification of accepted abstracts 30 May 2016
- Speaker registration deadline 15 July 2016
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINE
Abstracts should be up to 300 words, written in English,and must state the main issue addressed while explaining its relevance and application to the Congress’s key theme. Abstracts should contain information relating to the following:
- Key words
- Innovation: Optional - self nominate if interested
CELEBRATING INNOVATION IN RESEARCH AND PRACTICE
Authors are invited to nominate their paper/poster for consideration in the ISPAH Innovation Awards. During the submission process authors will be required to submit an additional 250 word description in the space provided in the abstract submission form, identifying how their work is innovative. Innovation will be considered in the broadest sense and might include the research question(s) posed, the methods used, the analytical techniques applied, or the dissemination/application of the findings. The Congress Scientific Committee will identify “Finalists” and poster size abstracts of the 10 finalists will be displayed at the Congress. Delegates will be invited to ‘vote’ for the most innovative work and the Awards will be announced in the Closing session.
ABSTRACT ASSESSMENT PROCESS AND CRITERIA
Abstract Assessment Process
- Abstracts will be reviewed by the 6th ISPAH Global Scientific Programme Committee.
- Acceptance of an Abstract will be based on the assessment criteria outlined below.
- The 6th ISPAH Global Scientific Programme Committee reserves the right to reject abstracts according to the Abstract Rejection Criteria.
- Notification of accepted abstracts will be sent to the Authors on 30 May 2016
- Presentation Schedule and Presentation guidelines will be sent together on 31 August 2016
Abstract Assessment Criteria
The criteria for evaluating abstracts include, but are not limited to, the following:
- New information being presented
- Clarity of the Abstract
- Scientific merit
- Relevance of the information to practice and/or policy
- Relevance and contribution to the Congress’ key theme and sub-themes
- Interest to the audience
PRESENTER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- An abstract which has been previously published or presented at a national, regional and international meeting can only be submitted provided that there are new methods, new findings, updated information or other valid reasons for submitting that can be provided by author as per the Congress’ Resubmission Policy.
- Accepted presenters must register and pay for the Congress by 15 July 2016or their presentation will be removed from the programme.
- Presentation Schedule and Presentation guidelines will be sent together on 31 August 2016. Changes to the presentation schedule cannot be made.
- All presentations (posters and papers) will be required to include a declaration, stating any conflicts of interest. This requirement has been introduced to align the ISPAH Congress and the Society with best practice and transparency. Further details of this new requirement will become available on the ISPAH 2016 Congress website and a slide template for disclosures will be provided for use in oral presentations. Poster presentations will be requested to include a disclosure statement.
- All accepted abstracts are assigned to either a paper or poster presentation at the discretion of the 6th ISPAH Global Scientific Programme Committee. Abstract presentation times cannot be changed; no exceptions.
- Full text of all abstracts accepted for presentation and publication will be available on the 6th ISPAH Web site and in printed publication or other collective works as per the Congress’ Copyright Policy.